UPDATE: As of March 17, 2020, Macmillan announced that it is dropping the embargo and will restore the terms of sale that were in place October 31, 2019.
As of Mar 10, 2020, 96 library systems and consortia have ceased to purchase Macmillan eBooks in protest of their new sales policy, which limits library eLending. These libraries represent 1,281 locations in 28 states, and serve 50.4 million people, which is 15.4% of the total U.S. population and three million more than the total populations of California plus New York City.
- Read about the financial impact to Macmillan
- Read why we choose to boycott
- Review the Macmillan boycott toolkit, including aids for selectors and templates for communication with patrons and stakeholders
- View the latest news
Library systems that are not purchasing Macmillan eBooks
- Arkansas Digital Library Consortium, AR, representing 34 library systems in Arkansas serving 926,000 residents.
- Benicia Public Library, Benicia, CA, with 1 location serving 28,300 residents.
- Butte County Library, Butte County, CA including the City of Chico, with 6 locations serving 229,294 residents.
- City of Calabasas Library, Calabasas, CA, with 1 location serving 24,000 residents.
- Napa Valley Unified School District libraries, Napa, CA, serving 16,750 students.
- Nevada County Community Library, Nevada County, CA, with 6 locations serving 100,000 residents.
- Plumas County Library, Plumas County, CA, with 4 locations serving 18,800 residents.
- Sacramento Public Library, Sacramento, CA, with 28 branches serving 1.5 million residents in the city and county. Sacramento Public Library was in the top 25 libraries by ePurchases in 2017.
- San Diego Public Library, San Diego, CA, with 36 locations, serving 1.426 million residents.
- San Jose Public Library, San Jose, CA with 25 locations serving 1.030 million residents.
- Santa Cruz Public Libraries, Santa Cruz, CA with 10 locations serving 214,000 residents in the city and county.
- Sutter County Library, Sutter County, CA with 3 locations serving 97,000 residents.
- Yolo County Library, Yolo County, CA, representing 9 libraries serving 220,000 residents.
- Estes Valley Library, Estes Park, CO, with 1 location serving 12,000 residents.
- Poudre River Public Library District, Fort Collins, CO, with 3 locations serving 192,000 residents.
- Connecticut State Library, serving the 3.573 million residents of Connecticut.
- Greenwich Library, Greenwich, CT, with 3 locations serving 63,000 residents.
- Cedar Rapids Public Library, Cedar Rapids, IA, with 2 locations, serving 132,000 residents.
- Des Moines Public Library, Des Moines, IA, with 6 locations, serving 218,000 residents.
- Kansas State Library, Topeka, KS, which makes collections of eBooks and eAudiobooks available to the 2.912 million residents of Kansas.
- Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, Topeka and Shawnee County, KS, serving 177,000 residents.
- Kentucky Libraries Unbound, a consortium serving 105 library systems including 80% of the counties in the state and 2.7 million residents.
- New Orleans Public Library, New Orleans, LA, with 14 locations, serving 391,000 residents.
- Dedham Public Library, Dedham, MA, with 2 locations serving 25,000 residents.
- Merrimack Valley Library Consortium in northern MA, representing 36 library systems serving 779,000 residents.
- Newton Free Library, Newton, MA, with 1 location serving 88,900 residents.
- The Public Library of Brookline, Brookine, MA, with 3 locations serving 59,000 residents.
- Robbins and Fox Libraries, Arlington, MA, with 2 locations serving 44,000 residents.
- Wayland Free Public Library, Wayland, MA, with 1 location serving 14,000 residents.
- Anoka County Library, with 8 locations serving the northwestern suburbs of Minneapolis, serving 340,000 residents.
- First Regional Library, Northwestern MS, with 14 locations serving 5 counties, including suburbs of Memphis. The system currently serves about 300,000 residents.
- Omaha Public Library, Omaha NE, serving the City of Omaha and Douglas County with 12 locations and 562,000 residents.
- Bergen County Cooperative Library System with 77 libraries in New Jersey’s Bergen, Essex, Hudson, and Passaic Counties, serving 1.3 million residents.
- eLibraryNJ, a consortium of 70 libraries serving 2.66 million residents in central New Jersey.
- Somerset County Library System, Somerset County, NJ with 12 branches serving 330,000 residents. It describes its rationale for the boycott here.
- Larchmont Public Library, Larchmont, NY with 1 location serving 17,000 residents.
- Monroe County Library System, near Rochester, NY, including the libraries of 16 towns, 2 villages, a school district and the City of Rochester. It serves 744,000 residents.
- White Plains Public Library, White Plains, NY, with 1 location serving 60,000 residents.
- North Carolina Digital Library, serving 3.368 million residents through 23 municipal, county, and regional public library systems circulating nearly 2.5 million times annually
- North Dakota Digital Consortium, a consortium of 42 public libraries serving 626,000 residents.
- North Dakota State Library, Bismarck, ND, serving the 670,000 residents of the state of North Dakota.
- Columbus Metropolitan Library, Columbus, OH, in partnership with 18 other libraries in the Digital Downloads Collaboration. CML was one of the top 25 U.S. libraries by eMaterial purchases in 2017.
- Corvallis-Benton County Public Library, Benton County, OR, with 4 locations serving 92,000 residents.
- Multnomah County Library, based in Portland, OR, with 22 locations, serving 812,000 residents. Read the press release here. Multnomah County was one of the top 15 U.S. libraries by eMaterial purchases in 2017.
- Berks County Library System, Berks County, PA representing 20 libraries, serving 400,000 residents.
- Bucks County Free Library, Bucks County, PA, with 7 locations, serving 628,000 residents.
- Luzerne County Library, Luzerne County, PA, with 10 participating library systems and 320,000 residents.
- Ocean State Libraries, a consortium of 48 public libraries and 1 private K-12 school library, serving all 1.057 million residents of the state of Rhode Island. The consortium has also recommended that library locations discontinue promotion of Macmillan print materials through displays, etc.
- Anderson County Library System, Anderson, SC, with 9 locations serving 200,400 residents.
- Charleston County Public Library, Charleston County, SC, with 19 locations serving 406,000 residents.
- Colleton County Memorial Library, Colleton County, SC, with 3 locations, serving 39,000 residents.
- Florence County Library System, Florence County, SC, with 6 locations serving 138,000 residents.
- Georgetown County Public Library, Georgetown County, SC, with 4 locations serving 62,400 residents.
- Greenwood County Library System, Greenwood County, SC, with 3 locations serving 71,000 residents.
- Horry County Library System, Horry County, SC, with 10 locations serving 344,000 residents.
- Lexington County Public Library System, Lexington County, SC, with 10 locations serving 295,000 residents.
- Marion County Library System, Marion County, SC, with 3 locations serving 31,000 residents.
- Oconee County Public Library, Oconee County, SC, with 4 locations serving 78,000 residents.
- York County Library, York County, SC, with 5 locations serving 274,000 residents.
- Nashville Public Library, Nashville, TN, representing 21 library branches in Tennessee’s capital city, serving 1.5 million residents.
- Pleasanton Public Library, Pleasanton, TX, with 1 location serving 10,800 residents.
- San Antonio Public Library, San Antonio, TX, with 31 locations serving 1.532 million residents.
- Schertz Public Library, Schertz, TX, with 1 location serving 41,000 residents.
- Utah’s Online Library, a consortium of 69 library systems, serving approximately 1.48 million residents. The consortium includes all public libraries in Utah with the exception of Davis County, Cache County, Salt Lake County, Salt Lake City, and Murray.
- Alexandria Library, Alexandria, VA with 5 locations, serving 161,000 residents.
- Blue Ridge Download Consortium, in the Blue Ridge region of VA, with 16 participating libraries serving 414,000 residents.
- Chesapeake Public Library, Chesapeake, VA, with 7 locations serving 250,000 residents.
- Chesterfield County Public Library, Chesterfield County, VA with 11 locations serving 349,000 residents.
- Fairfax County Public Library, Fairfax County, VA, with 23 branches serving 1.151 million residents. Fairfax County was one of the top 30 U.S. libraries by eMaterial purchases in 2017.
- James L. Hamner Public Library, Amelia County, VA with 1 location serving 12,900 residents.
- Massanutten Regional Library, serving the 158,000 residents of the City of Harrisonburg and Rockingham and Page Counties with 7 locations.
- Newport News Public Library, Newport News, VA, with 5 locations serving 179,000 residents.
- Pamunkey Regional Library, serving four counties in central VA with 10 locations and 154,000 residents.
- Richmond Public Library, Richmond, VA, with 9 locations serving 229,000 residents.
- Virginia Beach Public Library, Virginia Beach, VA, with 10 locations serving 450,000 residents.
- King County Library System, King County, WA, representing 50 library branches in Washington State, serving 1.5 million residents. KCLS circulated more eBooks and eAudiobooks than any other U.S. library in 2018.
- Timberland Regional Library, 5 counties in Washington State, with 27 locations, serving over 500,000 residents.
- Washington Digital Library Consortium, 21 counties in Washington State, representing 45 libraries and serving 820,000 residents.
- Wisconsin Public Library Consortium, serving the 5.814 million residents of the state of Wisconsin with the Wisconsin Digital Library. Details here.
- WVREADS, a consortium of 27 West Virginia library systems serving 697,000 residents.