Making major purchases online can be daunting. Whatcom County Library System staff can help you avoid scams and shop safely. Stop by any WCLS location for assistance, or check out these handy tips and booklists for further information.
DON’T GET SCAMMED – PAY ATTENTION TO THE TIPS BELOW
It’s hard to know what to trust in the online environment. For more digital literacy skills, take a look at these resources.
- Spot Which Face Is Real vs. which ones are AI-generated.
- Experience an online escape room that teaches resilience to misinformation.
- Learn the Trust Indicators to identify reliable, ethical journalism.
- Watch UW professors Carl Bergstrom and Jevin West’s course Calling Bullshit: Data Reasoning in a Digital World.
Want to test your digital literacy skills? Try one of these quizzes:
- Beauty Tip or Misinformation?
- Online Marketplace Deal or Scam?
- Buying a Truck Online: Don’t Get Tricked!
Got a question? Ask Us! The online space can be tricky to navigate. Our staff are here to help.
Whatcom County Library System offers free access to Consumer Reports Magazine using your library card.
Whatcom County Library System partners with The Center for an Informed Public – University of Washington and The National Science Foundation to provide you information you can trust and resources so you can learn more for yourself.