Blaine Library Building Project
Or download a printable PDF version here.
(You can return it to any WCLS library)
Thank you for your tax-deductible donation.
Please join us on Tuesday, December 10 at 5:30 PM for Meeting 2: Developing Character
Updates and News
Whatcom County Library System, Friends of the Blaine Library and the City of Blaine are hosting three community engagement meetings for you to share your ideas for a new library design. The design will evolve, so attend as many meetings as you can and be a part of the process.
All meetings will be held at the Blaine Senior Center, 763 G Street. (View a map to the Senior Center)
Why expand the Library?
- Our current 5,400-square-foot library at 610 3rd Street opened 31 years ago in the converted Blaine Public Works garage. The building infrastructure restricts growth and services, including technology expansion, community programs and meeting space, and quiet areas for reading and research.
- Without updates, the library cannot meet present and projected community needs.
- Community members chose “expanding the library” as a high priority in Blaine’s strategic economic initiative plan.
- Each year, approximately 116,000 people visit the Blaine Library; more than 700 people sign up for a library card, and a quarter million books circulate through the branch.
How Can I Help?
- Make a tax-deductible donation here.
- Join the Friends of Blaine Library or support our book sales.
- Attend community input sessions. View initial concepts, share your ideas, and get involved! Meeting notices will be posted here. Join us to learn how the distinctive, complementary designs of the Blaine regional library and Birch Bay’s planned neighborhood library will serve northwest Whatcom County residents.
At the community input sessions, participants will hear project updates and share ideas to help shape important elements of the library design such as meeting rooms, spaces for teens and children, outdoor spaces, quiet areas, and technology. Representatives of Johnston Architects and King Architecture will facilitate the meetings.
Blaine Library Community Input Sessions, Blaine Senior Center, 763 G Street
- Hopes and Dreams, 5:30-7 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019
- Developing Character, 5:30-7 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2019
- Project Realities, 5:30-7 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2020
Architects and Planners
The Blaine Library Design Committee, representing the Friends of the Blaine Library, the City of Blaine, and WCLS, seeks to work with an architect or design firm to develop a design for a new Blaine Library using community input through public sessions and a survey. The deadline for responses is 8/29/2019.