Blaine Library Building Project
The Friends of the Blaine Library, The City of Blaine, and WCLS are working together to enhance current library services and to establish a timeline to continue work on the Blaine Library building design project. See below for renderings and news stories regarding community meetings that informed the design. We will share updates when they are available.
Thank you for your tax-deductible donation.
Why expand the Library?
- Our current 5,400-square-foot library at 610 3rd Street opened more than 30 years ago in the converted Blaine Public Works garage. The building infrastructure restricts growth and services, including technology expansion, community programs and meeting space, and quiet areas for reading and research.
- Without updates, the library cannot meet present and projected community needs.
- Community members chose “expanding the library” as a high priority in Blaine’s strategic economic initiative plan.
- Each year, approximately 116,000 people visit the Blaine Library; more than 700 people sign up for a library card, and a quarter million books circulate through the branch.
View 3D Renderings of the Blaine Library Design Project below (Note: VR files may take some time to download)
- Design team reveals plans for 8,620-square-foot Blaine Library (The Northern Light, 2/19/2020)
- Design team at work on final concept for new Blaine library (The Northern Light, 1/22/2020)
- Library’s second input meeting on Dec. 10 (The Northern Light, 12/4/2019)
- Blaine Building Project Public Meeting #4
- Blaine Building Project Public Meeting #3
- Blaine Building Project Public Meeting #2
- Blaine Building Project Public Meeting #1
How Can I Help?
- Make a tax-deductible donation here.
- Join the Friends of Blaine Library or support our book sales.
- Subscribe to receive email updates regarding the project. Send your name and email address to email@example.com and note Blaine Library updates in the subject line. Meeting notices will also be posted here. Join us to learn more about the proposed redesign and how the distinctive, complementary Blaine regional library and Birch Bay’s proposed neighborhood library will serve northwest Whatcom County residents.