WCLS (in partnership with Bellingham Public Library) is migrating to a new library database, which is the system that tracks items in the catalog, patron information, fees, and more. Improvements offered by the new system, called Polaris, include:
- New 21st century features such as notifications by text and eReceipts
- Improved data security
- More efficient workflows for staff, allowing us to focus more on service to you
During the changeover to Polaris (January 2-7, 2019) staff will only be able to check out materials. Here’s what that means for you:
- We won’t be able to check in materials, so thank you for keeping checked out items through this week! (During the changeover week, no items will be due and no overdue fines will be charged.)
- No holds will be placed on books or other physical library materials.
- No payments will be taken on fines or fees.
- Self-checkout stations will not be operational.
- Library Express self-checkout at the Point Roberts branch will not be available; other arrangements will be made for Northwest Drive Library Express hold pickups.
During the changeover week, you can still:
- Check out books and other physical items in our branches.
- Check out eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eMagazines as you normally would.
- Browse the online catalog to find the branch location of items.
- Use our digital resources such as NewsBank, Consumer Reports, Ancestry.com, Mango Languages, and other tools.
- Use library public computers, printers, and free wireless access in the branches.
Questions? Talk with staff at your local library or submit your question online at www.wcls.org/contact-us. And thank you for your support of the Whatcom County Library System and your patience during this exciting process!