The Whatcom County Library System is currently accepting applications for the position of Online Services Coordinator. The Online Services Coordinator serves as coordinator for the WCLS online services team; develops, administers, and maintains the external website and peripherals (with exception of the integrated library system); ensures information provided is current, relevant, and reflects the values, culture and philosophy of WCLS and the needs of patrons; acts as a consultant to and trains staff in web based activities. Requires Bachelor’s degree and three or more years relevant library technology experience or equivalent combination of technical training, education and/or experience; Master of Library Science preferred. Full-time position, with competitive salary and excellent benefits. Apply by September 30th. Click on the "read more" link for full posting and application requirements.
POSITION: Online Services Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: IT Services
POSTING DATES: Thursday, 09/05/13 to Monday, 09/30/13
SALARY: $3,872 per month
PAY LEVEL: 10
BENEFITS: Social Security, retirement, medical, dental and optical insurance; paid vacation and sick leave, EAP, and a fun and innovative work environment that values the contributions of our employees.
UNION: Membership in AFSCME, AFL-CIO Local 1581 commencing not more than 30 days after employment, according to the terms and conditions described in the current bargaining agreement.
WORKING HOURS: Full time, 40 hours per week, worked during regular library open hours and scheduled to meet the needs of current projects. Successful candidate may be required to adapt to future schedule and/or worksite changes depending on library needs.
LOCATION: Library Central Services, 5205 Northwest Drive, Bellingham, WA 98226
DUTIES: Serves as coordinator for the WCLS online services team; develops, administers, and maintains the external website and peripherals (with exception of the integrated library system); ensures information provided is current, relevant, and reflects the values, culture and philosophy of WCLS and the needs of patrons; acts as a consultant to and trains staff in web based activities. Essential functions include:
- Coordinates all the operations of the web branch, ensuring that online patrons receive the best library service;
- Identifies and communicates system-wide goals and objectives for online services; develops and documents online services policies and procedures system-wide;
- Leads the website design process and provides visual design, information architecture and content support throughout the product life cycle;
- Assumes overall responsibility for the content, appearance, graphic design consistency, efficiency and functionality of the WCLS website; coordinates development of content standards for WCLS web branch;
- Works with online services team, consisting of selectors, community relations, reference, IT, ILS administrator, and youth staff to maintain currency and relevance of the WCLS Website;
- Identifies and/or develops and implements methods for providing access to the catalog, electronic resources and proprietary databases; researches, evaluates and recommends new technologies and provides technical support for new technology initiatives;
- Trains select staff to provide online content using relevant tools; coordinates, monitors and guides team of staff who are web publishers to maintain the cohesion of the website; provides input to supervisors on the work of staff contributing content to the website;
- Contributes to planning for and development of training programs to ensure that staff and public can make full use of the web branch;
- Responds to patrons who contact WCLS online, and/or redirects their inquiry as appropriate;
- Coordinates engagement of patrons through a variety of tools and dialogue to assess effectiveness of online services;
- Monitors website usage, including use of electronic resources; implements online strategies to increase patron usage of web branch; makes recommendations for changes, additions or deletions based on usage;
- May serve as system reference librarian and/or provide online reference service; substitutes for reference librarians as requested; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and three or more years relevant library technology experience or equivalent combination of technical training, education and/or experience; Master of Library Science preferred.
- Demonstrable knowledge of web design, standards-compliant HTML, Drupal, programming languages, web publishing software and best practices for online services.
- Working knowledge of recent versions of PHP and some experience with other web technology platforms.
- In-depth knowledge of development cycle, including usability principles, testing and debugging.
- Experience training others in the area of technology; ability to introduce technology to people with a limited technology background.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required.
New employees are subject to a CRC (criminal records check) per RCW 43.43.832.
APPLICATION: Submit a completed WCLS Application Packet* by 5:00 p.m. Monday, 09/30/13 to:
Geoff Fitzpatrick, IT Services Manager
Whatcom County Library System
5205 Northwest Dr.
Bellingham, WA 98226
Phone: (360) 305-3600, ext. 279
* Application packets must include:
JOB BEGINS: As soon after hiring as possible
SELECTION: Selection criteria may include the contents of the application, an oral interview and skills test. Selection of applicants for further consideration and/or possible testing will be determined by the information supplied by the applicants on their applications and accompanying documents. It will be the responsibility of the applicant to supply sufficient information and detail on the application to permit WCLS to properly determine the applicant’s qualifications, abilities and attributes as they relate to the listed position.
Interviews will be scheduled ONLY with best qualified applicants, based upon applications, resumes and other documents received, and test results.
Applicants who need accommodation during the application, testing or interview process should contact Human Resources.