Meeting Room & Facilities Use Guidelines
The Whatcom County Library System makes library meeting and conference rooms available when they are not being used by the Library, its Friends of the Library groups, library building owners, or government organizations using a room for government purposes. The Administrative Procedure answers the question, “Is the library right for your meeting?”
If your group wishes to use a library meeting space, please be aware of the following:
- All meetings must be open to the public and may not be restricted to any particular group.
- No admissions fee may be charged or solicited and no donations of any money or other property may be solicited or collected from the audience with the exception of programs sponsored by the library, or friends of the library. Fees to cover the cost of study materials used in classes, workshops, conferences and similar events can be collected by non-profit and/or governmental organizations; however, the purchase of study materials may not be a requirement for attendance and/or registration. Permission must be obtained in advance through the local library manager.
- No products or services may be advertised, solicited or sold, with the exception of books and other resources sold at library or friends of the library sponsored events.
- Library sponsored activities are given priority in scheduling the meeting rooms. The Library reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule reservations in order to use the meeting room space for programs or events sponsored by the Library. As much notice as possible will be provided to groups affected. The library may block out times in advance when the meeting rooms are reserved for District, Friends or building owner activities.
- Reservations are on a first-come, first-serve basis and may be made no more than six months in advance. Scheduling may be limited when necessary to ensure equitable access to the facilities for the entire community
- All meeting spaces have maximum capacities that may not be exceeded. Each space is different so please contact the local library for details regarding seating, equipment and guidelines regarding food/drink.
- Meetings may not disrupt the use of the library by others.
- Persons attending meetings at the library are subject to all library conduct rules.
- Users assume responsibility for cleaning up after themselves and for any damage to Library property resulting from their use of Library facilities. The Library may assess charges for damage or cleaning.
- Please notify the library at least 24 hours before a meeting if it must be canceled.
- Although a group meets at the library, this does not constitute an endorsement of the group's policies or beliefs. Posters, flyers and other publicity should not give the impression that the program is sponsored, co-sponsored or approved by the library.
- Never give the Library telephone number as a contact for further information.
- There are no fees to use the library meeting space during library open hours.
- Some library meeting spaces may be available during closed hours for a fee. Contact the library directly for fees and availability.
The Meeting Room & Facilities Use Guidelines is listed under the Administrative Procedure
authority 7.02.01 as Meeting Room & Facilities Use.
Approved: November 8, 2010