Library Cards FAQ Print


How do I get a library card?

Online Library card application (for a temporary card)

  • Available to Whatcom County residents with a valid email address.
  • Once the form is submitted you will receive an email within 2 business days with your temporary library card number.
  • Your temporary library card number will be valid for 45 days. To continue your access to the library, bring your photo ID to any WCLS library location and receive your full-access library card. If you are under 18 years old, a parent or guardian also will be required to sign your library application.

Application for a full-access library card (printable) at any WCLS library location

  • If you don’t have an email address.
  • If you are under 18 years old, a parent or guardian will also be required to sign your library application.
  • If you live outside Whatcom County (includes Whatcom County property owners, employees working in Whatcom County, and registered borrowers of Sno-Isle Libraries and Fraser Valley Regional Library).

Temporary card gives access to: 

  1. online research databases
  2. place holds on library materials (limit 3 items)

You must obtain a full-access card to:

  1. check out library materials
  2. download eBooks and eAudiobooks

Who can get a card?

Whatcom County residents, Whatcom County property owners, people who work for Whatcom County employers, patrons of Fraser Valley Regional and Sno-Isle libraries. See Borrower's Policy for details.

Can I use this card to borrow from the Bellingham Public Library?

Yes! - Read Borrowing FAQ for details.

Can I use this card to get a card at Fraser Valley Regional Library?

Yes! Through our reciprocal borrowing agreements, a WCLS library card allows you to get a card at both the Fraser Valley Regional Library in British Columbia, and Sno-Isle Libraries located in Snohomish and Island counties.

I'm not a resident of Whatcom County, can I get a card?

You are eligible to register for a library card with provision of current address and proof of identity if you are a resident of one of the communities with which WCLS has a reciprocal borrowing agreement:

  • Fraser Valley Regional Library (Canada)
  • Sno-Isle Regional Library System
  • Timberland Regional Library System
  • Non-residents of the Library District who pay taxes to support the Library District, such as individuals who work in or own businesses or property located in Whatcom County are eligible for library cards.  Please visit a library with photo identification.
If you want a card and do not live in one of those service areas, you can pay $40.00 to get a library card if you are an adult, $20 if you are a senior or disabled, $20 if the card is for a child, or $52.00 for a family. The visitor fee (one month or less) is $5.

I lost my library card.  Now what?

To report your library card lost or stolen, please call 360-305-3600 and press 3 during library open hours and staff will assist you. Reporting a lost card as soon as possible will prevent any misuse of your card until you either reactivate it or get a free replacement. Visit any WCLS location to reactivate your found card or get a new one.